Why we celebrate National Arts in Education week and why you should too!
As Florida’s only professional theatre for young audiences, Orlando Family Stage is proud to be both a leader and supporter of arts in education! The arts play an essential role in the development and complete education of students of all ages. Research has shown that arts-based educational programming not only helps students perform better in school, but these types of experiences allow for a more meaningful and positive difference in their overall lives. This is why advocacy and access to arts education is crucial in our community! When you support the arts, you make a deep impact in the lives and direction of future generations.
Check out these incredible 5 research findings about the impact of arts in education:
- Students that take a combination of arts programs demonstrate improved verbal, reading, and math skills, and also show a greater capacity for higher-order thinking skills such as analyzing and problem solving.
- Students with low socioeconomic status that have a history of involvement in the arts have better long-term academic, occupational, and social outcomes than their peers.
- Schools with the greatest student involvement in the arts reported the highest attendance rates.
- School districts with higher percentages of students enrolled in art classes reported fewer behavioral incidents, including violent outbursts and other behaviors that resulted in out-of-school suspensions.
- Students engaged in the arts have been shown to develop significant gains in areas such as communication, empathy, and compassion.
Join us as we celebrate all the wonderful things about arts and education and become an advocate today! To learn more about what you can do, visit: https://www.arteducators.org/advocacy-policy/arts-in-education-week